Thursday, June 28, 2007

Medals, the HEGG, and Parades



Over the past 2 weeks, we've had 2 presentations of the Medal of Military Valour, they were both won for exceptional service in Afghanistan. It's quite an honour to work with these 2 modern heroes.



This past week, we've started the morning mounts, and my division has done fairly well, they need some more polish. On the 23rd we did the first mount, I was #1 Divison Commander, for me it was the best first mount that I've ever done. In years past there has either been divisions that would run into each other, or some catastrophic timing issues. But this year, it came off pretty well, far from perfect...

On the 25th, we did the HEGG inspection, it's always special doing a parade for the Governor General. After the parade, I got to meet the HEGG, in the Officers Mess of the Governor General's Foot Guards.


Now that parades have started, I've also started teaching 8 soldiers of my platoon, their Soldier's Qualification. This is their second military course, and their first one that is Army specific. They all started a few months ago with their BMQ (Basic military qualification) this is the first course all soldier, no matter what element, must complete. One they complete the SQ, they will go onto their trade course, for most that will be their Basic Infantry Qualification.

No comments: